Saturday, August 16, 2008

Life is Roses at Three

The other day I was driving the kids around in the car when I heard Brinley say from the back, "Mom, I love the world." What a beautiful thing to love the world. What a simple, yet very sweet thought. What innocence. I hope that she is blessed with a life that keeps her always feeling that same way. It was Brinley's birthday on the 13th of August. She turned three. It was a fun filled day of junk food (Our days menu consisted of sugar cereal-the kind I never buy, mac and cheese and chicken nuggets from McDs for dinner. All foods of her request) and game playing. Dan got off work a little early so we got to go to a miniature indoor amusement store, called Jeepers, where we had loads of fun riding rides. Later that evening we raced home and I put the finishing touches on a sparkly princess belle doll cake...


while Dan did some spectacular wrapping on her presents. It was very late when we had cake and presents (as is tradition in our family), but it was an exciting, special day for her. She had little expectations (only candles with fire) so it was impossible to disappoint her. It is amazing to think that our baby girl has turned 3. Dan gave Brinley a rose for her birthday. I wanted to get a picture of Dan, Brinley and her rose but of course the doctor hasn't been "in the house" much since her birthday so here are some pictures of Brin with her special birthday flower.








I thought I might as well make Lainie sit for a picture too, because the lighting was great, and she is easy to photograph. When I was done taking pictures of Alaina she rolled onto her back, closed her eyes, and folded her hands over the flower on her chest (Just like all the pictures of sleeping beauty in her story books) and very seriously said, "Mom, do I look like a princess?" My dad reminds me often of when I would do similar things as a child. He told me that when he would come to tuck me in I would pretend I was asleep, then tell him I was "sweeping booty". Like mother, like daughter(s).








I took pictures of Isaac also (rose not included). He has two teeth now, on the front bottom and his eyes have started taking on their true color, brown. (Suprise! Just like his sisters) As Dan says, he is declaring himself. -M




8 comments:

shel said...

Watch out Maren...it will become addictive! :) Happy to see that little Brinners had a good b-day. Austin requested McD's nuggets on his 3rd, too. Yummy, Yum ;)...at least it's easy clean-up! Love all the pictures.

shel said...

I forgot to mention...the new page set-up looks great! I LOVE the banner!!!!

Maxfield Family said...

What cute pictures. You take really good pictures, but I bet it helps to have 3 really cute kids. It sounds like Brinley had a great Birthday party. Its amazing how fast kids grow.

Danette said...

I can't stop laughing. After you mentioned Dan's spectacular wrapping job I had to take a closer look at the picture and sure enough...it was spectacular! Way to go Dan :-)
At least he helped out. The cake was awsome-looks like you bought it from a store and the pictures of the kids are too cute. I really like the one of Laney acting like a sleeping princess. Oh ya, good job on the post, I knew you could do it!

valerie said...

That is an awesome cake!! Way to go Maren!! Beautiful pictures!! You guys have the cutest kids!!!

Kristen & Rob said...

You are all angels with or without roses. The smiles and photos are wonderful...of course we think the subjects are the sweetest ever. We love you all. Thanks for sharing you with us. Love. Mom/ Kristen

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

Maren, I just saw your blog through Danette's. It is SUPER CUTE! I LOVE LOVE the pictures of your kids! They are darling! I love that quote from sis. Hinckley too!! Hope you don't mind me dropping in.
Ashlie Richey =)

Gma Higbee said...

Maren: Thank you for the sweet details of Brinley's birthday. (Even if I hadn't called with our wishes during the wrapping process, I still would've recognized who took care of that chore...You always were a "spectacular" gift-wrapper, Dan!)The Belle cake is really something special, and Brinley's face sure expresses her delight.The pictures are so darling of all three angels. Dad(G-pa) accused me of trying to kiss the screen! Well, who would blame this grandma who misses them so much!xoxoxoxoxo