Thursday, April 16, 2009

A fairy tale ending...

I had to include a quick tribute here to my 'Heels and the magical ending to thier season. I pinched myself as I realized I was watching "One shining moment" live on the floor at Ford Field while the team celebrated and cut down those nets in front of me. It was an amazing experience that I never imagined I'd have. Thanks NC!!



























I spent a little quality time with my mini-fans before heading off to the final game. After sitting for a moment with my arm around Alaina, I noticed Isaac looking over at her. He then gently placed his arm gently around her shoulder just as I had mine. (he also patted her back a few times) It was one of those sweet moments that makes a dad want to keep that job title for awhile.















I have to admit I found myself shaking with excitement (and just a touch of nerves) while driving to the game. I was so lucky to find a free shuttle at my parking site, which was about 10 blocks from the stadium (a long way even WITHOUT these lousy crutches). I met the Peterson's there and we got psyched to cheer our team on amidst a sea of 70,000 green and white clad fans.
























Fairy tales do come true! It was only fitting that they would present "his Airness" Michael Jordan into the college bball hall of fame during half time. I even got high fives from the whole team as they exited. (suddenly I felt more like one of the 7 dwarves next to some of 'em)

















And they all (except for those 70,000 in green) lived happily ever after...until next season :)







4 comments:

Danette said...

This really was AMAZING!!!
I'm goin to have to snag some of your pics too. I didn't do such a great job. When I see stuff on t.v. and watch clips from the game, I can't believe I was there. Too cool. I'm telling you, if they make it to the finals again, I will be tempted to go. Indiana isn't that far!

shel said...

Wow! You actually got to feel the sweat. I didn't know the Petersons were with you as traitors... glad you weren't alone on that one. How did you get tickets, by the way?
Glad you could be there since you ARE the biggest fan in the family ;) (sorry I didn't vote for you...I, um, meant to.) And happy it ended so nicely!

The part about Isaac putting his arm around Alaina is too cute...I want him to do that to me!

Now you need to post pictures from your trip to NC! And you can say how you were so excited for the win that you hopped in your car and drove all the way there.

The Higbee Family said...

This makes our party/b-bq with friends to watch the big game seem suddenly not so exciting. We did all look hard for you on TV though. Now you just have to experience the UNC-Duke game in Dean Smith Arena.

Gma Higbee said...

I'm so tickled for you, Dan. People who aren't such devoted fans don't get just how big a deal that was, but our family knows! I read in Elder Daniel Hiatt's email to his parents that he thought having a broken foot was probably worth it since it helped you get down to the front for those high-fives from the exiting team. COOL!!
P.S. I'm with Shel...I want Isaac to put his little arm around my shoulder, too. SOOO sweet.